The term ‘Superfood’ seems to be simply a marketing term to promote foodstuffs which contain beneficial nutritional contents; or make the consumer believe they do. Although it seems like a gimmick the term super food actually denotes some truth. Nutritionists believe the specific food we eat is a detrimental to health and overall wellbeing; well of course that’s no secret. Recent studies have revealed the significance of certain foods to aid and even prevent the development of cancerous tumours, the channel 4 television programme food hospital highlights some key nutrients which help to counteract harmful carcinogens which are found in our diets.
You are what you eat, dieters are all too familiar with this phrase but the principles of nutrition are based on the idea that the quantity of food we eat is significantly more important than food restriction. Here are some Superfoods compiled in to a top 5.
- Green tea is predominantly associated with health foods and dieters but we cannot underestimate the power which derives from the polyphenol rich brew. Green tea is high in Catechins which boost the immune system and prevent tumours.
- Blueberries and pomegranates; the high anti-oxidant activity of these fruits offers brain and memory protection. Also drinking pomegranate juice has been shown to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Whole grains; especially oats, whole wheat and barley assist in the stabilization of blood sugar and insulin and may protect against heart disease.
- Omega-3 is characterised as a ‘good’ fat which protects the body against heart disease and other inflammatory diseases, found in wild fish such as salmon.
- Tomatoes; these wonderful orbs contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant shown to help stimulate the immune system and protect from certain cancers, especially prostate.